Flexible and Advanced Circuit Substrate Materials
AIT COUPLER organic copper-clad laminate flexible circuit substrate and flexible circuit pre-preg material panels can be used to build one of the thinnest components and circuit boards with 40-50 micron dielectric over a 1/4 oz (9 micron) copper conductor.
COUPLER with AIT proprietary flexible substrate has proven applicable for:
- Through-hole plating for two sided interconnections
- Hydrophobic with ultra low moisture absorption
- Low dielectric constant
- No volume limitation
AI Technology has developed a solderable, organic copper-clad laminate flexible circuit substrate materials that can be used at temperatures as high as 300°C. The standard flexible circuit material uses 1 oz copper on this non-polyimide proprietary molecularly flexible material for a total 3-mil thickness as flexible circuit substrate. These flexible circuit materials are available with 1/4 or 3/8-oz copper for super fine-pitch flexible circuit applications of less than 1-mil line/spacing and via.
COUPLER™ Flexible Circuit Material Characteristics:
- Proprietary organic copper-clad laminate material with low dielectric constant, 3.0 @ 1 KHz with less than 0.01 dielectric loss and high insulation strength (>1000VDC/3-mil thickness).
- Non-silicone and non-contaminating molecularly flexible dielectric layer.
- Withstands chemical etching and wet chemical treatments for all PWB/PCB processes.
- Maintains outstanding flexibility even at temperatures of as low as 40°C.
- Eliminates traditional polyimide flexible circuit material “measling” and other moisture induced degradation and reliability problems as usually associated with polyimide based circuit boards.
- Outstanding moisture resistance, less than 0.3%, while maintaining high electrical and mechanical performance.
- UL-94-V0 fire-retardant rating.
- Same circuit density and design rules as traditional FR-4 and BT board.
- Lower temperature multi-layer flexible circuit processing from as low as 125°C.
- Solderable flexible circuit applications at 50% of the traditional polyimide flexible circuit material substrate cost.
- Organic copper-clad laminate substrate flexible circuit materials to replace polyimide and PTFE.
- Flex tape for area-array flexible circuit and interposer substrate.
- Flip-chip on flex with superfine pitches.
- Directly solderable flat and flexible jumpers.
- Flat and flexible cabling that can be used in class
- Solderable membrane switches and circuits.
- Roll-to-roll or panel processing.
- Available in rolls of various lengths and width.
AIT COUPLER™ organic copper-clad laminate flexible circuit substrate and flexible circuit pre-preg material panels can be handled in exactly the same method and infrastructure as commonly used in standard PWB and flex circuit.
1. Panel & Roll Material Handling
- COOL-CLAD™ and COUPLER™ organic copper-clad laminate flexible circuit substrates can be stored in ambient conditions for at least 12 months.
- COUPLER™ flexible circuit pre-preg material can be stored in ambient conditions for at least 6 months.
2. Panel Prep
- Chemical Cleaning
- Base Metal Protection
- Dry Film Application
- Wet Film Application
- Screened Image Application
4. Wet Chemistry Processing
- Post Etch/Strip Clean
5. Solder Mask Application
- Screen, Spray or Curtin Coat
- Thermal Solder Mask
- UV Cured Solder Mask
6. Second Step Drill or Punch
- 7. Finishing Operation
8. Finishing Fabrication
|Permittivity 1 MHz||–||C-24/23/50||3.8-4.2||5.4|
|Loss Tangent 1 MHz||–||C-24/23/50||0/013-0.020||0.035|
|Arc Resistance||Sec||D-48/50 + D-0.5/23||100||60|
|Peel Strength 1oz||Lb/in||288°C Solder Floating||8||8|
|Thermal Stress||Sec||288°C Solder Dipping||600||300|
|Pressure Cooker (2 atm/120°C)||hr||hr||Sec||288°C Solder Dipping||300|
|1 hr||Sec||288°C Solder Dipping||300||N/A|
|2 hr||Sec||288°C Solder Dipping||300||N/A|
|Flexural Strength||LW||psi||A||6000||60000 (N/A, For Flex Circuit)|
|CW||psi||A||5000||60000 (N/A, For Flex Circuit)|
|Dimensional Stability X-Y Axis||%||E-0.5/170||0.01-0.020||0.050|
|Coefficient of Thermal Expansion||Z-axis below Tg||In/in/°C||TMA||60 PPM||N/A|
|Z-axis above Tg||Z-axis above Tg||In/in/°C||TMA||180||N/A|
|Glass Transition Temperature||°C||DSC||-40 +/- 5||N/A|
For more information and recommendation assistance, please contact AIT sales and engineering:
AIT technical sales and service department can also be reached at: 1-609-799-9388 or 1-800-735-5040 (EST) and Fax: 609-799-9308